Thursday, September 29, 2011

Daily Journal #9

Whoops! Looks like I forgot to write a daily journal number nine. Well this is awkward. Sorry about that journal number nine. Here, let me make it up to you, I’ll write you really quick and put you in your proper spot. Does that sound good? Good, I’ll try to hurry.


Okay, so I’m supposed to write about a time that someone handled a situation using a rational approach. Well, it has happened so many times that it is hard to pick a good example to use for this blog. I could use Thomas Edison and how he created the light bulb, or how Nikola Tesla created AC current, as opposed to DC current.


I think that I will use the Tesla example, mostly because I understand it fairly well and it is easy to write about, mostly because there are a lot of technical things that I could blather on about and then waste words until I am done with this blog.


The reason that I chose how Tesla created AC current was because there was a problem that he saw, and so he decided to find a way to solve it. He noticed that there were an excessive amount of wires running through New York City that brought DC power to the city. The problem was that with DC current, it gets very weak the longer it travels, and so there had to be transformers very often and the wires had to be quite large. DC (direct current) just sent electricity in a loop, from plant to the houses, then back through the plant and so on. Tesla came up with the idea of instead of having a static positive and negative end in the power grid, he could alternate each end between positive and negative so that the electricity would keep recycling itself by going back into the grid (this is possible because the electrons are not actually used up, but simply continue down the system after going through electronics). This alternating current, AC current, allowed for much smaller wires and the need for very few less power stations due to the fact that the power stayed very strong even across very long distances.

No comments:

Post a Comment