Friday, August 12, 2011

The Old Man and the Sea: Question 8

Okay, finally it’s the last question for this book. I am not saying that I do not like this book, I am just merely saying that I am glad that I do not have to try to squeeze out materiel for blogs when there is not much to begin with.

So, what is the last question, another history one? Well this is not good, I already used most of my historical significance on question 5. I guess there would be some stuff to say about responsibilities and influences, so I’ll just go that route.

Like I said in number five, I think that Hemingway was trying to hint at how the newer generation was not treating the ocean like the older generation does, and this kind of brings up the thought that it is the newest generations responsibility to learn how to properly care for the Earth from the older generation, and come up with new ways to protect the environment.

Another thing that could fit in this category would be the relationship between the old man and the boy. I say this because to me, it kind of seemed weird that the old man and the boy had no relation, and they still loved each other, kind of like a grandfather and grandson love. The old man taught the young boy how to fish, and the boy keeps the old man company. This kind of relationship is not common in today’s society.

On the subject of influence, Hemingway spent many years living in Cuba, so I figure that would have some kind of impact on his lifestyle and ultimately, his writing style (Hemingway 9). In Spanish 1 last year, we studied the Latin American cultures, and one thing was common between them, they all had youths that respected their elders, so maybe this had an effect on Hemingway and that’s why he added the boy in. The most important influence that Hemingway got from living in Cuba was that his friend told him a story of an old fisherman who caught a giant fish, and that was the basis for The Old Man and the Sea (Hemingway 7)

Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea. New York: Scribner, 1980. Kindle. Web. 21 June 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment