Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Grapes of Wrath: Chapters 2 & 3

I was going to try to do chapters one and two last post, but I just had too much to say I guess and it took up all the room. Then I was just going to write this one about chapters two three and four, but four was going to have too much in it so I am suck writing one about two and three, so I’ll try to squeeze enough out to them.

The beginning of chapter two itself is one of the most important parts I think. It describes a new “Huge red transport truck. It was a new truck, shining red, and n twelve-inch letters on its sides—OKLAHOMA CITY TRANSPORT COMPANY. Its double wide tires were new, and a brass padlock stood straight out from the hasp on the big back doors.”(Hemingway 5) I think that this shows the way how the farmers were suffering from the harsh weather conditions, but there were still people getting other jobs all the time. To me, this kind of foreshadows that the farmers are going to have to find something else to do, or farm somewhere else.

Another important quote is when Tom Joad says to the truck driver, “But sometimes a guy’ll be a good guy even if some rich bastard makes him carry a sticker” after the truck driver tells him that he can’t give people rides. This reveals early on the kind of person that Tom Joad is going to be: smart, witty, and able to make people do what he wants them to do. It also reveals a little bit about Steinbeck. To me it seems like Steinbeck is one of those kind of “fight the system” kind of people by calling corporate owners “rich bastards”.

Chapter three is basically just a long, drawn out, and detailed story about a turtle trying to cross the road. Why was the turtle trying to cross the road? No reason really, maybe to show the reader that the theme of perseverance will be big in this book.

Steinbeck, John, and Robert J. DeMott. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2006. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment